Subject: Re: [bug#34040] [PATCH 1/2] refresh: Suggest input changes when updating.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 22:48:58 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Alternately, we could change ‘input-changes’ to ‘inputs’, which would be
>>> absolute, not relative, and thus ‘package-update’ would take care of
>>> calling ‘changed-inputs’ etc.
>>
>> That would also work, but I think I prefer an updater to report changes
>> rather than a new list of inputs.
>
> OTOH if we return a complete list of inputs, then we don’t have to worry
> about the cost of ‘changed-inputs’ since that would only be called on
> demand; also there’d be a single call site for ‘changed-inputs’.

The potentially expensive part is to get the inputs, though.  Getting a
list of new inputs means that the importer needs to be run.  For CRAN
packages this requires downloading the tarball and unpacking parts of
it.

--
Ricardo