Subject: Re: bug#33190: Choose devices according to linux-libre code

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:28:49 +0100

Hello,

<[email-masked]> skribis:

> As I've got here
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-10/msg00083.html
> some devices cannot work without linux-firmware, requiring non-free
> software drivers. It is so bad.
>
> I believe the issue can be solved by choosing devices that have proper
> support by linux-libre code. So how to do this? Is there any info how
> to choose devices working nice on linux-libre?

The manual gives a couple of hints:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Hardware-Considerations.html

The problem is of course not specific to GuixSD, that’s why the manual
refers to H-Node, but there are probably other similar resources out
there.

HTH,
Ludo’.