Subject: Re: [bug#32923] [PATCH 0/3] Add Arduino basics.

From: Björn Höfling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 22:42:47 +0200

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 17:26:28 +0200
Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Björn,
> 
> On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:44:14 +0200
> Björn Höfling <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I haven't looked into the package definitions, just:
> > 
> > There is already a file avr.scm. Is there any reason you are not
> > adding to this file?  
> 
> Newer arduino versions support other platforms, not just avr.  They
> are an IDE and development environment, with only the "arduinocore-"
> packages differing.
> 
> So in light of this I wouldn't put it into "avr.scm".

OK. Thanks for clarification. I thought that "AVR" and "Arduino" are
somehow synonyms.

> The newer arduino versions require batik, so packages for batik have
> to be finished first.
> That requires xalan, so that has to be finished first.
> And that requires java-cup which cannot be bootstrapped without
> binaries.

I see. CUP requires at least cup.jar and jflex.jar. jfex.jar uses
jflex.jar... 

I took a quick look: Jflex 1.4.1's LexParse.java:

https://github.com/jflex-de/jflex/blob/release_1_4_1/jflex/src/JFlex/LexParse.java

was generated by CUPS v0.10.k.

And if you download that:

http://www2.cs.tum.edu/projects/cup/releases/

the 0.10.k's parser.java was generated by CUP v0.10k...

And that doesn't look like it counts as source code:

  /** Production table. */
  protected static final short _production_table[][] = 
    unpackFromStrings(new String[] {
    "\000\153\000\002\002\004\000\002\055\002\000\002\003" +
    "\012\000\002\003\007\000\002\056\002\000\002\004\006" +
    "\000\002\004\003\000\002\005\004\000\002\005\003\000" +
[..]

Is it that what you meant by bootstrapping from binaries?

It would be so simple, if one just wouldn't care ...

Björn