Subject: Re: bug#32336: herd stop mcron yields instant shutdown of computer

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 12:19:06 +0200

Hello,

Tonton <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Triggering action:
> from bash: sudo herd stop mcron

[...]

> 750173:Jul 31 18:37:42 localhost shepherd[1]: Service mcron has been started. 
> 750174:Jul 31 18:37:42 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning mcron. 
> 750175:Jul 31 18:37:42 localhost shepherd[1]: Service mcron has been started. 
> 750176:Jul 31 18:37:42 localhost shepherd[1]: Respawning mcron. 
> 750177:Jul 31 18:37:42 localhost shepherd[1]: Service mcron has been started.  
> 750178:Jul 31 18:38:20 localhost shepherd[1]: [No documentation.] 
> 750203:Jul 31 18:43:54 localhost shepherd[1]: Service mcron has been stopped. 
> 750204:Jul 31 18:43:54 localhost shepherd[1]: Exiting shepherd... 
> 750205:Jul 31 18:43:54 localhost shepherd[1]: Service console-font-tty2 has been stopped. 
> 750206:Jul 31 18:43:54 localhost shepherd[1]: Service term-tty2 has been stopped. 
> 750207:Jul 31 18:43:54 localhost shepherd[1]: Service cups has been stopped. 
> 750208:Jul 31 18:43:54 localhost shepherd[1]: Service rpcbind-daemon has been stopped. 
> 750209:Jul 31 18:43:54 localhost avahi-daemon[833]: Got SIGTERM, quitting.

The “Exiting shepherd” message above normally only gets printed upon
‘halt’ or ‘reboot’ (or ‘herd stop root’.)  Could it be that one of these
commands was run at that time?

> So, as of now I have not been able to reproduce my own bug. I experienced it
> twice some hours ago, but after running a guix pull and a reconfigure it is
> gone AFAIK.

I’ve just tried in a VM and haven’t been able to reproduce it either.

I’m closing the bug but do reopen it if the problem comes up again.

Thanks,
Ludo’.