Subject: Re: bug#32316: Build failure with installed guix that does not happen with pre-inst-env

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:42:14 +0200

Hi Björn,

> thanks for the precise error report.

Thanks for your quick reply!

> Could it be the case that in your `guix build ...` you are not using
> the guix you pulled?
>
> What does `guix --version` say?
>
> Where does `which guix` point to?
>
> It should point to
>
> ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix

It points to $HOME/.guix-profile/bin/guix, and since I have the package
"guix" installed in my profile, that looks OK to me. At the very least I
am used to it: guix has always been in my profile, and has always worked
well that way.

But I do see how this could cause various failures after a guix pull,
because the guix in my profile has to work with the updated stuff the
pull has placed under ~/.config. So perhaps the real mystery is that I
haven't had any trouble before. And I wonder what strategy to adopt to
avoid it - remove guix from my profile? There was a good reason to
install it last year, but I don't remember what it was. If installing
guix into a profile is not a good idea, perhaps the guix package should
disappear or be renamed to something that indicates its true purpose?

BTW, since I updated my profile with the pre-inst-env guix, I now also
have a new guix in my profile and the build failure has disappeared.

Konrad.