Subject: Re: bug#31841: ./pre-inst-env guix system no longer works without ~/.config/guix

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 18:51:58 +0200

Hello,

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

[...]

>> I’m a bit reluctant to that, in part because it’s a development
>> environment where we can have different expectations IMO.
>
> If there's a good reason to avoid implementing Ricardo's suggestion, I
> don't mind keeping my modified 'guix' script above, but I confess that I
> don't yet understand the cause of your reluctance.

Well I’m not opposed to it, but my first reaction was that it adds
complexity, it’s redundant with the ‘configure’ checks, and one can
always find other ways to make things break.

Now, I agree that it would be useful for the use case you mentioned
(build in ‘guix environment’ and run outside of it), so if you come
up with a patch, that works for me!

> Anyway, it seems that my practice of running 'guix' from a private git
> checkout is becoming increasingly awkward to arrange.  I would be
> pleased if this mode of operation were better supported.

I do that (like every Guix developer I suppose) every day, so I don’t
think it’s going to stop working any time soon.

In this case, the requirement of a new dependency made the issue
apparent but fundamentally nothing has changed.  In particular,
~/.config/guix is not required any more than it was before, contrary to
what the subject says.

OK to close this issue?

Ludo’.