Subject: Re: bug#31841: ./pre-inst-env guix system no longer works without ~/.config/guix

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 09:40:59 -0400

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> We could fix this by recording more of the configured
>> GUILE_LOAD_{,COMPILED_}PATH and setting it up at runtime with
>> pre-inst-env.

Thanks, Ricardo.  For now, I've changed my local 'guix' script to this:

  #!/bin/sh
  source /var/guix/gcroots/per-user/mhw/environment-guix/etc/profile
  exec /home/mhw/guix/pre-inst-env guix "$@"

Where /var/guix/gcroots/per-user/mhw/environment-guix is a symlink
pointing to the profile created by 'guix environment guix'.  I update
this environment periodically, as needed.

> I’m a bit reluctant to that, in part because it’s a development
> environment where we can have different expectations IMO.

If there's a good reason to avoid implementing Ricardo's suggestion, I
don't mind keeping my modified 'guix' script above, but I confess that I
don't yet understand the cause of your reluctance.

Anyway, it seems that my practice of running 'guix' from a private git
checkout is becoming increasingly awkward to arrange.  I would be
pleased if this mode of operation were better supported.

     Regards,
       Mark