Subject: Re: [bug#30991] [PATCH v2 2/3] services: Add modem-manager-service-type.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 22:53:19 +0200

Hello Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2018 15:22:07 +0200
> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
>> I think the only question was about patch 3/3, which adds ModemManager
>> to ‘%desktop-services’.  I’m in favor of dropping patch 3/3, but
>> regardless patches 1/3 (the variant that moves
>> ‘static-networking-service-type’ to (gnu services base), as we
>> discussed) and 2/3 can definitely go in!
>
> It already is in master.  I guess I left the bug report open so far - probably
> because of the %desktop-services .

Oh, silly me.

> I still want to underline that there should be a way for a regular user
> to bootstrap from the GuixSD image to a "guix pull"-able system using
> his existing internet connection - otherwise the first impression is bad.
>
> This means that the GuixSD image needs to have at least pppd, and
> maybe modem-manager too (maybe not).

I agree in principle, though, as I wrote, I think we need to strike a
balance between popularity and overhead, so to speak.  ModemManager
currently takes quite a bit of extra space, which is why I’m reluctant.
Do you think this can be optimized?  Or would pppd enough be convenient?

Thanks,
Ludo’.