Subject: Re: [bug#30991] [PATCH v2 3/3] services: Add ModemManager to '%desktop-services'.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 23:00:54 +0200

Hello Danny,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 18:08:35 +0200
> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>
>> Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>> > * gnu/services/desktop.scm (%desktop-services): Add ModemManager.  
>> 
>> I would not add it to ‘%desktop-services’ because I’d think it’s not a
>> very common requirement, but I don’t know.  WDYT?
>
> Do we need internet in order to install GuixSD?
>
> Then modem-manager should at least be available in the installation image.

I think this is orthogonal to the question of adding it to
‘%desktop-services’ since the installation image doesn’t rely on
‘%desktop-services’.

Nevertheless, this will all be a matter of size, usability, and
documentation.  If it adds “too much” to the size of the installation
image, I’d be rather against it.

If we do add it to the installation image, then we’ll have to document
it a little.

But then, at this point we should also consider adding NetworkManager to
the installation image.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.