Subject: Re: bug#30921: Jupyter uses the wrong Python.

From: Fis Trivial <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 14:57:29 +0000

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Fis Trivial <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> When running jupyter, it seems that the python in "/usr/bin/python"
>> instead of the one in store is used. Here is the complete logging of
>> jupyter console output, notice those line in the middle, where displaying:
>> "/usr/bin/python: No module named ipykernel_launcher"
>
> I wonder if that’s by design.  As far as I understand Jupyter can be
> used with many different kernels, including different versions of
> Python.  This means that we may not limit it to just a single version of
> Python at build time.
>
> Is this correct?
>

Actually the only command I know about jupyter is how to open a
notebook :) . But it asks me to restart the kernel again and again in
browser. And according to the console, it seems that jupyter couldn't
find the needed kernel because the kernel is installed in guix store,
not in normal system path, but jupyter itself is ran by system
python other than the one installed in guix store.

And, maybe I am wrong, packages that installed by guix should never use
software not in the store, right?

> I do agree, though, that the default doesn’t seem right.  As long as a
> user can override the kernel to use a different Python than the one we
> configured at build time, I think we should default to the current
> version of Python in Guix.