Subject: Re: [PATCH] Ruby on Rails (web-application framework)

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 11:26:58 +0100

Hello Chris,

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:

> So I've successfully managed to get a Rails app up and running just
> using Guix packages, without Bundler, and I think without Rubygems. It
> wasn't too difficult, although I still don't fully understand the
> relationship between Bundler and Rails.

Awesome!

> Once everything is in Guix, I might write a blog post or put up an
> example of the "Getting Started with Rails" guide, but using Guix where
> appropriate. I'm not sure if this would be appropriate to have on the
> Guix blog?

I guess you could focus on using Guix to develop Rails applications, and
it would make a lot of sense as a blog post!

> Also, as a more general point, I feel that it would be useful having
> some documentation on the packages in Guix, especially for documenting
> the individual expected differences when using a package from Guix over
> other approaches. I don't know if this is something that would be
> appropriate to put in the manual?

I think it would make sense to have sections like “Developing in
language X or framework Y with Guix”.  It would be useful because it
would answer probably some of the main questions for newcomers (“how do
I need to adjust my workflow when I switch to Guix?”).

Cheers,
Ludo’.