Subject: Re: [PATCH] Ruby on Rails (web-application framework)

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 19:20:49 +0000

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Let's use this bug to track the process of packaging Ruby on Rails.
>>
>> My current plan is to take chunks of the packages from the wip-rails-2
>> [1] branch here, check them over, and then send them up for review.
>>
>> If anyone else wants to join in, that would be great.
>
> Since probably few people will feel like reviewing each individual
> package, I suppose you can push them once they’re ready, pass ‘guix
> lint’, and generally work.
>
> What will matter most I suppose is testing complete RoR setups.  Maybe
> that’s where others can help more easily?
>
> Thanks to you and to Ben for all of this!

So I've successfully managed to get a Rails app up and running just
using Guix packages, without Bundler, and I think without Rubygems. It
wasn't too difficult, although I still don't fully understand the
relationship between Bundler and Rails.

Once everything is in Guix, I might write a blog post or put up an
example of the "Getting Started with Rails" guide, but using Guix where
appropriate. I'm not sure if this would be appropriate to have on the
Guix blog?

Also, as a more general point, I feel that it would be useful having
some documentation on the packages in Guix, especially for documenting
the individual expected differences when using a package from Guix over
other approaches. I don't know if this is something that would be
appropriate to put in the manual?

Thanks,

Chris