Subject: Re: [bug#30500] [PATCH] services: cups: Add all extensions by default.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 17:58:16 +0200

zimoun 写道：
>> $ guix size cups-filters | tail -1
>> total: 270.4 MiB
>> $ guix size cups-filters escpr hplip foomatic-filters | tail -1
>> total: 569.5 MiB

It's since improved.  Probably thanks to hplip-minimal, whilst the 
newer Samsung SpliX package adds a mere 0.2 MiB:

  λ guix size cups | tail -n 1
  total: 279.5 MiB
  λ guix size cups-filters escpr hplip-minimal foomatic-filters 
  splix | tail -n 1
  total: 405.4 MiB (+45%)

>> I think carrying all this could make ‘guix system reconfigure’
>> heavyweight for many—lots of unnecessary downloads/rebuilds, 
>> etc.

‘Lots’ is way overblown.  This is it:

+/gnu/store/44xzcm69lmy71ydrnmv4plzxc26rk0dc-splix-2.0.0-315
+/gnu/store/amahw2r0b7fjqphisv8c0f6w77qac3c0-hplip-minimal-3.20.9
+/gnu/store/jqqf3xzs4sjdvnvddpk3pgx8g2rn9db3-foomatic-filters-4.0.17
+/gnu/store/w3rqls7rxri89xmi02yw8irycnf5zia1-escpr-1.7.7
+/gnu/store/9bfxyfqx12mnxwh715y23djnp239qh1b-libusb-1.0.23
+/gnu/store/57xj5gcy1jbl9ai2lnrqnpr0dald9i65-coreutils-8.32
+/gnu/store/8zvc5mvk0xm3ygrxsgpyy5ilxb5rzjry-perl-5.30.2

With the last 2 (3?) almost certainly already installed, this is 
not unreasonable for ‘cups-service-type actually prints, even if 
you visit grandma’.

Visit grandma,

T G-R