Subject: Re: bug#29662: 'guix gc' as user makes system unbootable

From: Martin Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2018 19:37:50 +0100

Hi,

On 08.01.2018 15:34, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> Sorry for the delay.

No problem.

> Looking at guix/scripts/system.scm, ‘install-bootloader’ definitely
> installs the ‘bootcfg’ symlink, except if ‘grub-install’ fails—which is
> apparently the case in your transcript above.

Ok, makes sense.

> Why did you write “expected grub error”?  A GRUB error is never
> something one should expect.  :-)

I have currently set up /dev/sda3 as grub target, which is an ext4
partition. Since grub doesn't support embedding in ext, it fails. One
has to manually 'grub-install --force /dev/sda3'.

Good thing that you explained this. This is important for the other
issue in thread 'Dualbooting with guixsd not handling grub installation'.

-- 
GPG: 7FDE 7190 2F73 2C50 236E  403D CC13 48F1 E644 08EC