Subject: 'guix gc' as user makes system unbootable

From: Quiliro Ordonez Baca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:21:26 -0500

'guix gc' as user makes system unbootable.-

I had executed 'guix gc' and then 'guix package -i blender' and then
'guix package -u', all as user without running 'guix pull' recently
(did it last week). When rebooting, current GrUB boot menu entry did
not work. But previous versions (#1,#2,#3) worked at different
levels. Below each menu entry I post my experience upon boting with
it:

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.12.9 (beta)"
Kernel panic

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.11.6 (beta) (#1, 2017-06-21 18:01)"
No GUI. Lost keyboad configuration on tty's. Logged in as user. The
output of 'sudo herd status' was 'error: connect:
/var/run/shepherd/socket: No existe el fichero o el directorio'.

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.11.6 (beta) (#2, 2017-06-22 15:49)"
Working GUI (no local keyboard as usual) and working Herd. Lost keyboad configuration on tty's.

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.11.6 (beta) (#3, 2017-06-30 13:36)"
Working GUI (no local keyboard as usual) and working Herd. Lost keyboad configuration on tty's.

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.11.6 (beta) (#4, 2017-06-30 14:57)"
Kernel panic

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.11.8 (beta) (#5, 2017-07-02 19:30)"
Kernel panic

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.12.2 (beta) (#6, 2017-07-16 09:38)"
Kernel panic

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.12.9 (beta) (#7, 2017-08-31 00:10)"
Kernel panic

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.12.9 (beta) (#8, 2017-08-31 00:19)"
Kernel panic

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.12.9 (beta) (#9, 2017-08-31 00:46)"
Kernel panic

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.12.9 (beta) (#10, 2017-08-31 06:15)"
Kernel panic

menuentry "GNU with Linux-Libre 4.12.9 (beta) (#11, 2017-09-02 15:48)"
Kernel panic

This situation has happened before and has, as in this time, made my
installation unbootable. But I did not notice that it was because of
'guix gc', until now. Is it normal that a user can affect the boot
process for the whole operating system?