Subject: Re: bug#28776: guix system reconfigure does not update path to nginx configuration

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 15:25:30 +0200

Hi Oleg,

Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Quoting Ludovic from:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2017-05/msg00669.html
>>
>> Currently ‘guix system reconfigure’ (specifically
>> ‘upgrade-shepherd-services’) reloads and starts all services that are
>> currently stopped, on the grounds that it would not be safe/desirable to
>> simply stop any running service.
>>
>> So if you want NGINX to start with its new configuration, you need to
>> stop it before doing the 'guix system reconfigure'.
>
> Thank you for giving a direction!  I actually tried to make 'sudo herd
> restart nginx' after reconfigure,  but apparently it's wrong.
>
> I'm not sure if we need to close this bug.  It wasn't obvious to
> me that it related to subject “Allow services to implement a 'reload'
> action”, because I tried to reload it manually :-)

The behavior of ‘reconfigure’ is not ideal, which is why Clément started
working on improving it.

However, what you report here is intended, so I’ll just close as
“not-a-bug”.

Thank you,
Ludo’.