Subject: Re: [bug#28638] [PATCH] doc: Suggest decreasing bytes per inode.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 15:14:35 +0200

Hello,

Mohammed Sadiq <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On my system (with 21 GiB root partition), I was always getting
> "No space left on device" error while `df -h' was reporting 7 GiB
> of free space. After further investigation I found that the inode
> space was filled (df -i).

[...]

> +As the store (@pxref{The Store}) shall be having lots of directories,
> +symbolic links, and small files, the inode space may run out before
> +the disk space is filled, especially if the partition size is small.
> +Decreasing the bytes per inode shall be better to avoid related issues.
> +So, with partition @file{/dev/sda1}, and with a label @code{my-root},
> +bytes per inode can be set with:
> +
> +@example
> +mkfs.ext4 -L my-root -i 8192 /dev/sda1

Are you sure that this suggestion helps fix what you experienced?

I’ve used ext4 partitions much bigger than this but I’ve never needed to
pass “-i 8192” or similar.

Could it be that the ENOSPC you experienced was due to something else,
or on some other partition?

Thanks,
Ludo’.