Subject: Cannot upgrade due to "guix pull" errors

From: Adam Bolte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:08:59 +1000

Hi there,

I'm running Guix 0.10.0 on a Debian stretch box, and I'd like to
upgrade. The box had not been booted for quite some time, hence the
version is somewhat old.

Running `guix pull`, I get the following:

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.k6X14m
From http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/master.tar.gz...
 master.tar.gz                              628KiB/s 00:22 | 13.6MiB transferred
unpacking '/gnu/store/i17ynp73h182q1n72a6nqsyxk32fkhhr-guix-latest.tar.gz'...
Your installation is too old and lacks a 'guile2.0-git' package.
Please upgrade to an intermediate version first, for instance with:

  guix pull --url=https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/v0.13.0.tar.gz

Unfortunately, the suggested command fails as follows:

Starting download of /tmp/guix-file.cWnKqP
From https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/snapshot/v0.13.0.tar.gz...
 v0.13.0.tar.gz                             641KiB/s 00:21 | 13.1MiB transferred
 unpacking '/gnu/store/2xjmgdqac5bczsgg3z0ccpgrvmsfv5cr-guix-latest.tar.gz'...
 guix pull: warning: ambiguous package specification [email-masked]'
 guix pull: warning: choosing guile-2.0.11 from gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm:145:4
 substitute: warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
 substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
 substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'https://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/5c6cqg3bqsh8rfkmcvc5sa2ncadcbm2j-guix-latest.drv
   /gnu/store/vx3qbgs1xywhln31psv99gfqdq49lydv-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2.drv
   /gnu/store/y4jpd15v5xdfw8dz7fvv25vmxcdi1y8c-boost-1.60.0.drv
   /gnu/store/4csm8dx2v2wbl4l2zp9zgv9h4qq2h9ab-scons-2.3.4.drv
   /gnu/store/limzfb91ccdlzvkhi7hzak1klpqxbhnn-serf-1.3.8.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/abndxwmy1lhpdylw4k8mzb3nazmikppb-subversion-1.8.15.tar.bz2.drv
   /gnu/store/rbknpvrncpv3qhx1fx7lklqj0dypxr6w-serf-1.3.8.drv
   /gnu/store/vf2wr6d8cvz4a1f8qw2ighd4x0wmxfv3-swig-3.0.5.drv
   /gnu/store/gv7xsivnh1r9fgrnmyyjsab4mm5bll6i-subversion-1.8.15.drv
   /gnu/store/vfvam64y64b5aca6lkcg71rzc6m6pxd1-git-2.7.3.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/fkapgp78jsx2bhxix1jwkgaxal9p41nk-git-2.7.3.drv
   /gnu/store/7vfdyy41j5zyfs51w5r6hpqr2lmfhxs2-cmake-3.3.2.tar.gz.drv
   /gnu/store/mkr49c1c1zpwvm9acs23b307praczr7s-fontconfig-2.11.94.tar.bz2.drv
   /gnu/store/iib86yglfaps3mykli4y71clan58b5si-libxft-2.3.2.drv
   /gnu/store/rvvgg62pla0k1bzwvcmsbsxljl4gcq03-tk8.6.4-src.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/xwf3ghfi8761zv5kpx4s4zbfs5ys598p-fontconfig-2.11.94.drv
   /gnu/store/pabihqw4qbi235pkhx265alj2sqwxhv2-tk-8.6.4.drv
   /gnu/store/zyp81jj5k1mwszas7jj5ppp325pxs7ld-freetype-2.6.tar.bz2.drv
   /gnu/store/5fpjc6zgpfw7jvazn18pyrv47jcwnx12-freetype-2.6.drv
   /gnu/store/gf5qa80fz34inry2iz4k1ylvrbsn9dff-python-wrapper-3.4.3.drv
   /gnu/store/rfyihinww24210qh4sz7yf390lq4rvrf-python-3.4.3.drv
   /gnu/store/7570p35p47pblb9lclyx992mj21g7s5v-ghostscript-9.14.0.drv
   /gnu/store/jbq0w5nkrqaaxylfykh4wnldfq3xrjps-psutils-17.drv
   /gnu/store/xfzb00gaiscn2c6p3jnl0601zgi3mbn9-netpbm-10.61.01.drv
   /gnu/store/qvnl9crkiss0ni0gib2srllby2jgrq08-openldap-2.4.42.tgz.drv
   /gnu/store/3dzydc146ydj1rmxih2liw6f2jzis054-openldap-2.4.42.drv
   /gnu/store/n067prxks8z82vryaxyjf43dms9wpaq3-groff-1.22.3.drv
   /gnu/store/nzpksqfw6k5p6zbsdp48hd1m0ax95h7d-python-2.7.10.drv
   /gnu/store/6lfgxxd2d82s1clqqmaarm9vjyzhsfp2-libarchive-3.1.2.tar.gz.drv
   /gnu/store/3l08f3q0h93c64vxxxvw3zm5170x36k8-libarchive-3.1.2.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/c05g4i3bmbahn8ycnyln3xp4ki3dwjyz-libarchive-3.1.2.drv
   /gnu/store/jk2dkyqjqkb60hdh62w88h582l63w3is-curl-7.47.0.drv
   /gnu/store/kpxj7cxmb4mxsmiyrc29wya5yxc6x4ay-cmake-3.3.2.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/s6f859blwbgr291mfx7nbbd01q2dkvg3-libssh-0.6.5.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/c9c8mlqi38bk5p91q3jjf26hvl8yx80h-libssh-0.6.5.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/mynphq65zzsqjkisx620lrdd9nlpi5bc-cmake-3.3.2.drv
   /gnu/store/1wbg08m1gcssyipysplfzdgx0r6m11kb-libssh-0.6.5.drv
   /gnu/store/4x93iwmdvpyxd3zv38n8fzmjv7v8g711-guile-ssh-0.9.0-checkout.drv
   /gnu/store/fl828nnlvsx232g5srikiqv4hwx3drxg-guile-ssh-0.9.0.drv
The following files will be downloaded:
   /gnu/store/krnzsddzfbk1kdv0al2q7g7rnpw4k85j-libxext-1.3.3
   /gnu/store/i3zpc6rhc6mdn0wwf4sw8x1apdj1vlcf-libxrender-0.9.9
fetching path `/gnu/store/krnzsddzfbk1kdv0al2q7g7rnpw4k85j-libxext-1.3.3'...
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument

Found valid signature for /gnu/store/krnzsddzfbk1kdv0al2q7g7rnpw4k85j-libxext-1.3.3
From https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/guix/nar/gzip/krnzsddzfbk1kdv0al2q7g7rnpw4k85j-libxext-1.3.3
Downloading krnzsd...-libxext-1.3.3 (443KiB installed)...
 https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/.../krnzsddzfbk1kdv0al2q7g7rnpw4k85j-libxext-1.3.3  141KiB 171KiB/s 00:01 [####################] 100.0%%
 fetching path `/gnu/store/i3zpc6rhc6mdn0wwf4sw8x1apdj1vlcf-libxrender-0.9.9'...
 warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument

Found valid signature for /gnu/store/i3zpc6rhc6mdn0wwf4sw8x1apdj1vlcf-libxrender-0.9.9
From https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/guix/nar/gzip/i3zpc6rhc6mdn0wwf4sw8x1apdj1vlcf-libxrender-0.9.9
Downloading i3zpc6...-libxrender-0.9.9 (136KiB installed)...
 https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org/.../i3zpc6rhc6mdn0wwf4sw8x1apdj1vlcf-libxrender-0.9.9  44KiB 124KiB/s 00:00 [####################] 100.0%%
 building path(s) `/gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2'

Starting download of /gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2
From http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2...
following redirection to `http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.60.0/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2'...
following redirection to `https://nchc.dl.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.60.0/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2'...
;;; Failed to autoload make-session in (gnutls):
;;; ERROR: missing interface for module (gnutls)
ERROR: In procedure module-lookup: Unbound variable: make-session

Starting download of /gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2
From http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2...
ERROR: download failed "http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2" 404 "Not Found"

Starting download of /gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2
From http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2...
ERROR: In procedure getaddrinfo: Name or service not known

Starting download of /gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2
From http://dfn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2...
ERROR: In procedure getaddrinfo: Name or service not known

Starting download of /gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2
From http://mesh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2...
ERROR: In procedure getaddrinfo: Name or service not known

Starting download of /gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2
From http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2...
ERROR: In procedure getaddrinfo: Name or service not known

Starting download of /gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2
From http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2...
ERROR: download failed "http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2" 404 "Not Found"
failed to download "/gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2" from "mirror://sourceforge/boost/boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2"
builder for `/gnu/store/vx3qbgs1xywhln31psv99gfqdq49lydv-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2.drv' failed to produce output path `/gnu/store/a87qvpwalb2nd2d58qvgf0a3rzdhfrl6-boost_1_60_0.tar.bz2'
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/y4jpd15v5xdfw8dz7fvv25vmxcdi1y8c-boost-1.60.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
building path(s) `/gnu/store/8kx36gyq33lp3mh8hf4fn9r2p2jm3974-cmake-3.3.2.tar.gz'
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/vf2wr6d8cvz4a1f8qw2ighd4x0wmxfv3-swig-3.0.5.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/gv7xsivnh1r9fgrnmyyjsab4mm5bll6i-subversion-1.8.15.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/fkapgp78jsx2bhxix1jwkgaxal9p41nk-git-2.7.3.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/4x93iwmdvpyxd3zv38n8fzmjv7v8g711-guile-ssh-0.9.0-checkout.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/fl828nnlvsx232g5srikiqv4hwx3drxg-guile-ssh-0.9.0.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/5c6cqg3bqsh8rfkmcvc5sa2ncadcbm2j-guix-latest.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix pull: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/5c6cqg3bqsh8rfkmcvc5sa2ncadcbm2j-guix-latest.drv' failed

I have attempted this multiple times over the last 24 hours, without getting any further.

Some places I have found mention the `--fallback` argument, but this
feature isn't included in the version I am upgrading from.

$ guix pull --fallback
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
guix pull: error: fallback: unrecognized option
$

It looks like this issue could be the same as was discussed in this
old thread:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-05/msg00038.html

I'd prefer not to reinstall, but will if that's my only option.

Thanks,
Adamm