Subject: Re: [bug#27950] [PATCH] Add The Ur-Quan Masters

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 15:13:56 +0200

Hello,

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Adam Van Ymeren <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This is my first package so obviously comments are welcome.  This
>> package only contains the engine.  The data files are distributed as a
>> few separate archives.  According to their wiki the data files are
>> available under a free(ish) license (CC BY-NC-SA 2.5).  A few separate
>> packages will have to be made for those I guess?  I'm not sure how to
>> include multiple source files in a single package, if this is even
>> supported.
>
> Hello Adam, and welcome! Nice work for a first package. :-)
>
> Unfortunately CC BY-NC-SA can not be included in Guix since it disallows
> commercial redistribution. Do you know if there are any freely
> redistributable data files available?

Note that the GNU FSDG are more liberal than Debian’s guidelines when it
comes to “non-functional data” such as game artwork:

  https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

That said, the “NC” bit can probably cause practical problems, such as
if someone sells a GuixSD DVD, or if a company runs ‘guix publish’ and
happens to redistribute the thing.

Regardless, thanks for your work, Adam!

Ludo’.