Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: bug#27386: offloading documentation and env

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 18:33:21 +0200

Hi Oleg,

Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Solution
> ========
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-05/msg00196.html
>
>> The ‘guix offload’ command is invoked by guix-daemon as root.  So when
>> it is invoked, (getenv "HOME") returns "/root" or similar.  Could that
>> be the problem?
>
> So, I need a ssh key pair in /root too!
>
> May be put this in doc?  I prepared a patch for this.
>
> From e119cf8cdc3eaa5774e44a301f1bcc975c31ce41 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 23:25:40 +0300
> Subject: [PATCH] doc: Add note about private-key during offload.
>
> * doc/guix.texi (Using the Offload Facility): Add note about private-key.

Excellent, glad that you found out.  I reworded and pushed as
dde1e152ce42a06fe2998f3da8acb1addfd296fc.

I’m closing this bug now, because it’s been a long discussion about
various issues rather than an actual “bug report”.

Oleg & ng0, please open a new bug report if you find a problem with
offloading.  Note that the subject should clearly specify a problem
(“guix foo fails with bar”, “Offloading fails when X and Y”) or an
expectation (“Offloading documentation should describe X”, “guix foo
should not override bar”).  The current title does not pass this test.
:-)

TIA,
Ludo’.