Subject: Re: bug#27386: offloading documentation and env

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 09:33:18 +0200

Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> process 5294 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/magnolia.local/0'
>>> waiting for locks or build slots...
>>> process 5294 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/magnolia.local/0'
>>> process 5294 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/magnolia.local/0'
>>> process 5294 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/magnolia.local/0'
>>> process 5294 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/magnolia.local/0'
>>> process 5294 acquired build slot '/var/guix/offload/magnolia.local/0'
>>>   C-c C-c
>>
>> When that happens, could you check how many ‘guix offload’ processes are
>> running?
>> 
>> Also, are you sure that the build machine is eligible for offloading
>> (matching system type, normalized load is below 2.0, etc.)?
>
> Yes, machine is totally free for load.

Hmm could it be that ‘machine-load’ in (guix scripts offload) always
returns +inf.0, for instance because it fails to run “cat /proc/loadavg”
on the remote machine?  (If it succeeded we would see the message “load
on machine XYZ is N”.)

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/offload.scm#n393

What does “ssh [email-masked] -i KEY cat /proc/loadavg” return,
where USER and KEY are those specified in your machines.scm file?

HTH,
Ludo’.