Subject: Re: bug#27080: ¨make install" fails because of missing gawk

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 11:22:10 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> You are correct, however, that building from source and running “make
> install” *will* install Guix to the specified prefix.  What I’m pretty
> sure does *not* happen, though, is that this *overwrites* any files that
> Ubuntu (or any other system) uses.  It is well-behaved in that it
> installs things into the expected directories under the given prefix.

It does put everything into the correct directories, but that doesn't
prevent version conflicts with my Ubuntu installation. If I remember
correctly it was the locale definitions that were not compatible.

> (With the “pre-inst-env” script it’s possible to run Guix without
> installing it, so you don’t even have to run “make install” at all if
> you just want to bootstrap Guix.)

That's a useful suggestion, thanks! All I want to do is develop my own
package definitions, and eventually contribute them to the official
distribution. All I need is a way to run Guix-from-source under my user
account.

Konrad.