Subject: Re: bug#27080: ¨make install" fails because of missing gawk

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 15:53:14 +0200

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for your reply!

> You did not run “./configure --localstatedir=/var”.

I did, in an earlier cycle. More precisely, I did

    ./configure --prefix=/opt/guix --localstatedir=/var

in order to prevent Guix from overwriting some of Ubuntu's system files.

In order to start from a clean slate, I now did

   guix environment guix
   make distclean
   ./bootstrap
   ./configure --prefix=/opt/guix --localstatedir=/var
   make check
   sudo make install

This fails even earlier, complaining about a missing makeinfo:

  make[2]: Entering directory '/home/hinsen/Development/guix'
    MAKEINFO doc/guix.info
  /home/hinsen/Development/guix/build-aux/missing: line 81: makeinfo: 
command not found

Checking config.log, I see that indeed makeinfo has not been found:

  MAKEINFO='${SHELL} /home/hinsen/Development/guix/build-aux/missing 
makeinfo'

However, it is available in my environment:

  ~/Development/guix [dev]$ which makeinfo
  /gnu/store/2kgp5d4wh40b49gp4qwqh2b4il29gq6g-profile/bin/makeinfo

There are a few other executables marked as missing:
  aclocal
  autoconf
  autoheader
  automake
  dot
  help2man

I started from scratch again, but added the paths for these executables 
manually to the generated Makefile, right after configure. That got me 
back to the error message that I got before:

  /bin/bash: line 5: gawk: command not found
  sed: couldn't write 47 items to stdout: Broken pipe
  /bin/bash: line 5: echo: write error: Broken pipe
  ...

However, config.log says:

  configure:2900: checking for gawk
  configure:2916: found 
/gnu/store/2kgp5d4wh40b49gp4qwqh2b4il29gq6g-profile/bin/gawk
  configure:2927: result: gawk

and Makefile contains

  AWK = gawk

Next, I replaced this line by

  AWK = /gnu/store/2kgp5d4wh40b49gp4qwqh2b4il29gq6g-profile/bin/gawk

and re-ran "make install". Success!

Conclusion: something is going wrong in configure.

Konrad.