Subject: Re: [bug#26830] Allow services to implement a 'reload' action

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 21:46:17 +0100

Hi,

Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> […]
>
>> I wonder if the patch as-is would achieve that though, because in
>> general those daemons are run with ‘-c /gnu/store/…-config’, so
>> reloading would just reload the same file.
>
> Maybe we could switch to another practice in service definitions:
>
> ‘/gnu/store/...-some-program/bin/some-program -c /etc/some-config’
>
> $ ls -l /etc/static
> /etc/static -> /gnu/store/...-etc/etc
>
> $ ls -l /etc/some-config
> /etc/some-config -> /etc/static/some-config

Hmm yes, we could (I think Maxim did that recently for a service, I
forgot which one.)

I like the clarity of ‘-c /gnu/store/…-config’ better than the ambient
authority and ambiguity of ‘/etc/config’, but I guess we have to made a
tradeoff.

Ludo’.