Subject: Re: bug#26173: [PATCH 4/4] tests: ssh: Add a test for SFTP.

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 13:59:08 -0400

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 01:13:51PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:
> >> No need to "sign off" on your own patches. In Guix, we use this field
> >> when we commit a patch on behalf of somebody else.
> >
> > Ok!  I could not find anything about it in HACKING.  Is this written
> > somewhere else?  Or maybe we should update HACKING?

Okay, I think it's a nice convention. Would you like to add a sentence
or two about it?

> This sounds like a good idea. There are some contributors who don't use
> the '-s' flag to `git am` too, such that one has to use `git log
> --format=full` to see who committed/reviewed a patch.

Overall, the Signed-off-by text is not that important, but it does save
a bit of time while reading the commit log.

As Marius points out, Git records the committer separately. Plus, the
committer information can include any text you choose, just like the
authorial information.

The PGP / GPG signature is the only thing that can actually record the
identity of the person who pushed the commit to Savannah (assuming one
does not create a useful SHA1 collision in the repository).