Subject: Re: bug#25969: guix-patches debbugs appears to mangle patches

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 12:46:31 -0500

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> The guix-patches debbugs thing causes a regression in this workflow by
>> rewriting the commit messages to include the debbugs ticket number.
>>
>> So, a commit that begins with this:
>>
>> gnu: gitolite: Fix shebangs in hooks.
>>
>> ... becomes this:
>>
>> bug#25966: [PATCH 2/2] gnu: gitolite: Fix shebangs in hooks.
>>
>> Am I missing something, or is debbugs really rewriting the patches?
>
> Good question.  Maybe Glenn and others at help-debbugs have an idea?

I think it's over the top to describe this as "mangling" or "rewriting"
patches. The system relies on adding a bug number to the subject, so
that replies to the maintainer address can be associated with the right
bug. I don't see any prospect of this changing. If you are using a tool
that is sensitive to the subject line in emails, I can only suggest
using eg a trivial sed command to take out the bug number before passing
the mail to your tool.