Subject: Re: bug#25953: [PATCH] gnu: mesa: Build LLVM Gallium drivers.

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 20:45:23 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Fixes <https://bugs.gnu.org/25953>.
>>>
>>> * gnu/packages/gl.scm (mesa)[inputs]: Add llvm.
>>> [arguments]: Build LLVM Gallium drivers.
>>
>> I'm uncomfortable adding llvm as a requirement for our most minimal X11
>> system, for several reasons.  Can we find a way to make this optional?
>
> Would it make sense to add a “mesa-minimal” package and a minimal
> variant of xorg-server where any mesa package is rewritten to be
> mesa-minimal?

Judging by the number of packages that include 'mesa' as an input, it
won't be so easy.  Search for ",mesa" in gnu/packages/*.scm, and see the
output of "guix refresh -l mesa".  The xf86-video-* packages include
'mesa' as input, and many other packages as well.

I won't block this, but I will take this opportunity to mention that for
those of us who wish to build GuixSD from source code on our own
machines, life is becoming increasingly uncomfortable as more and more
optional features are added to our core packages.  We are on a
trajectory to leave that set of users behind, as we cater primarily to
the majority who use the latest Intel machines and don't worry about the
security of either the Intel Management Engine or our build farm.

       Mark