Subject: Re: bug#25953: [Mesa] Very low Gallium performance compared to Trisquel

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 12:53:55 -0500

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 02:04:14AM -0600, Matthew Brooks wrote:
> This came up in a help-guix thread, and Ricardo Wurmus asked me to
> post here requesting that Mesa be built with LLVM to improve Gallium's
> performance.
> 
> The original post is here:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-02/msg00141.html
> but in short, when running GuixSD on my system, Gnome is unusably
> slow, and while LXDE is usable, trying to play even 480p videos
> results in a slideshow rather than a video.
> On Trisquel though, even though it's also blobless and using Gallium,
> the performance is vastly better, and even HD videos play fine.
> 
> I'm not really familiar with stuff this deep into the system, so if
> there's any extra info you all need then just let me know and I'll be
> happy to provide it.

I used to use GuixSD's GNOME on my Thinkpad x200s but, at some point, it
started to have the problem you describe. I decided to stop using GNOME
instead of investigating the bug because I had no idea where to start
looking.

But if I can help change some packages and test the changes, please let
me know how.