Subject: Re: bug#23376: Bootstrap failure on'binutils-cross-boot0-2.25.1: cannot find -lstdc++

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 22:21:22 +0200

Roel Janssen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> In an attempt to bootstrap Guix, I repeatedly encounter the same error.
> I attached the last 5000 lines of the build output of the command:
>   guix build bootstrap-tarballs
>
> When running the daemon, I used the following environment variables:
> NIX_STORE_DIR=/hpc/store
> NIX_CONF_DIR=/hpc/etc/guix
> NIX_STATE_DIR=/hpc/var/guix
> NIX_LOG_DIR=/hpc/log

And TMPDIR?

(For recent versions of guix-daemon, TMPDIR has no effect on the build
chroot.  I assume this uses a recent guix-daemon.)

Note that these environment variables are undocumented; use at your own
risks.  :-)

> The same environment variables (and values) were set when running the
> guix build command.
>
> What am I doing that causes the build to fail?

Did you pass the --disable-chroot or --chroot-directory options of
guix-daemon?

The log you sent suggests a failure to build (@@ (gnu packages
commencement) gcc-final) because the directory is called “gcc-4.9.3”,
not “gcc-cross-boot0-4.9.3”.  However, it also shows that
binutils-cross-boot0 is used, which is not the case for ‘gcc-final’.

What Guix commit are you using?  Could you identify more precisely
what’s failing to build?  For instance, you can run:

  guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) gcc-boot0)'
  guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages commencement) gcc-final)'

Thanks in advance,
Ludo’.