Subject: Re: bug#22981: guix-edit does not find git checkout directory

From: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:03:34 +0300

myglc2 (2016-03-11 00:56 +0300) wrote:

> Situation: GuixSD sysetm managaed by user glc using a git checkout in
> /home/glc/sre/guix.
>
> Problem: When I follow the manual to set up a vanila user (glc5) with a
> separate git checkout in /home/glc5/src/guix, guix-edit does not find
> the checkout source.
>
> Note: I followed comments from the #guix irc channel to set links in glc
> and root that point to the glc checkout:
>
> glc@g1 ~/src/guix [env]$ stat ~/.config/guix/latest
>   File: ‘/home/glc/.config/guix/latest’ -> ‘../../src/guix’
>
> glc@g1 ~/src/guix [env]$ stat /root/.config/guix/latest
>   File: ‘/root/.config/guix/latest’ -> ‘/home/glc/src/guix’
>
>
> CREATE USER glc5
[...]
> glc5@g1 ~/src$ stat ~/.config/guix/latest
> stat: cannot stat ‘/home/glc5/.config/guix/latest’: No such file or directory

I don't understand, so you made the links for user 'glc', but then you
check another user 'glc5'.  If you run emacs under glc, and try "M-x
guix-edit" there, you should be pointed to "~/.config/guix/latest".
Since you didn't make such a link for 'glc5', you are pointed to the
store.

Anyway, you can configure any directory for "M-x guix-edit" by setting
'guix-directory' variable.  See (info "(guix) Emacs Commands").  It is
not in the hmtl manual yet.

-- 
Alex