Subject: Re: bug#22882: Failure of 'guix pull' from fresh install

From: Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 20:59:29 +0200

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 11:37:35AM +0000, Rob Syme wrote:
> Note: Everything runs smoothly after importing the keys via 'guix archive
> --authorize hydra.gnu.org.pub', but I thought that we should be able to
> 'guix pull' without hydra. Perhaps I am mistaken...
> -r
> 
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 at 19:27 Rob Syme <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > I've just installed guix on a fresh Ubuntu 15.10 - guix (GNU Guix) 0.9.0.
> >
> > The first run of 'guix pull' fails. The log[1] includes the error:
> >
> > Starting download of
> > /gnu/store/n7hw4dgm9qh1ihhb13jf5a1ll0wgf6ns-pkg-config-0.28.tar.gz
> > From http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/releases/pkg-config-0.28.tar.gz...
> > following redirection to `
> > https://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/releases/pkg-config-0.28.tar.gz'...
> > ;;; Failed to autoload make-session in (gnutls):
> > ;;; ERROR: missing interface for module (gnutls)
> > ERROR: In procedure module-lookup: Unbound variable: make-session
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong?
> >
> > Rob Syme
> >
> >
> > [1] https://gist.github.com/robsyme/db66b14a47d6666a6697
> >

The problem is that from the time that 0.9.0 was tagged until now
freedesktop.org switched all their downloads to https. IIRC gnutls isn't
added to the environment unless needed for downloading or explicitly
added. Also, pkg-config is an input for gnutls, so it becomes hard to
download pkg-config using gnutls, when pkg-config is needed for gnutls.
This is a case where `guix download
https://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/releases/pkg-config-0.28.tar.gz` and
then rerunning `guix pull` would take care of it.

Since 0.9.0 we've "fixed" this by adding another source for pkg-config
that doesn't (yet) use https.

-- 
Efraim Flashner   <[email-masked]>   אפרים פלשנר
GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D  14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted