Subject: Re: bug#22053: silent failure on guix environment foo --container

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 22:20:33 +0100

Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> skribis:

> When trying to run `guix environment foo --container` I don't get a container
> with a new shell or any useful information, it just thinks about it for a
> while and then returns to the command prompt, allowing me to enter another
> command.
>
> efraim@debian-netbook:~$ strace -f -o log guix environment vim --container ; echo $?
> 1

The failure is:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
21228 mount("none", "/tmp/guix-directory.5sVcGc//dev/pts", "devpts", MS_NOSUID|MS_NOEXEC, "newinstance,ptmxmode=0666,mode=6"...) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)
21228 exit_group(1)                     = ?
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

The problem may be that the kernel does not support
CONFIG_DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES.  Could you check that in
/proc/config.gz or similar?

The other problem is that there’s no error reporting, which doubles user
frustration.  David, could you look into it?  :-)

Ludo’.