Subject: Re: bug#21720: Building gcc fails at target s-attrtab

From: Aljosha Papsch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 13:35:22 +0100

On 24.10.2015 22:35, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> the error message is near the end of the log: 
> ../../gcc-4.9.3/gcc/tree-ssa-ccp.c:2751:1: fatal error: error writing 
> to /tmp/nix-build-gcc-4.9.3.drv-0/cc5mntgw.s: No space left on device 
> } I assume /tmp is part of / on your system. How much free space do 
> you have there? That's where the building is done. 

That was the nudge in the right direction. I didn't think of /tmp being 
mounted as tmpfs, which lead to wrong assumption that guix had 85GB 
space left. /tmp is mounted with default options, which means size is 
half the RAM (2GB). To increase tmpfs size, I remounted /tmp with 
options "size=20G". These 20GB are backed by 50GB swap, which I 
increased by reusing an old partition of another system as swap.

Now building zile suceeds and guix installed it successfully. I guess 
the bug can be closed now as it appears to be a sole issue of memory 
resources on this machine. Utilizing gnuplot again, the peak of RAM 
usage is at approx. 1.8GB, while swap usage is at approx. 1.3GB. The 
20GB tmpfs and 50GB swap is a bit much and I'll reduce it to 3GB tmpfs 
and 6GB swap. I will see if this is sufficient in daily guix usage.

Aljosha