Subject: Re: bug#21720: Building gcc fails at target s-attrtab

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:38:17 +0200

Aljosha Papsch <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I installed Guix 0.8.3 on an Arch machine and tried to install zile,
> because it has few dependencies. Though some files are downloaded from
> hydra.gnu.org, guix tries to build packages.

Sounds like binaries for 0.8.3 have been GC’d from hydra.gnu.org, which
is unfortunate.

> It fails at gcc's build at target s-attrtab. When doing "guix pull",
> building also fails at gcc-cross-boot0's target s-attrtab.

Hmm, OK.

> Looking around a bit, I found [0]. Apparently someone had the same
> issue, though discussion broke off, because the reporter wasn't able
> to provide the build log, so here it is for gcc-cross-boot0 (last 200
> lines). Maybe we can just lift off where the previous discussion died.

Is this deterministic?  That is, does it happen again if you rerun ‘guix
build zile’ or something like that?

> Makefile:2107: recipe for target 's-attrtab' failed
> make[2]: *** [s-attrtab] Killed

The “Killed” here suggests an out-of-memory condition.  Does
‘dmesg | tail’ reveal something like that?

How much memory does this machine have?

Thanks for your report!

Ludo’.