Subject: installation of 0.8 stops at guile prompt.

From: th3kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 00:01:36 +0200

hello guix,

as requested by civodul on #guix, here is a bug report.

hardware: 8-year-old hp nx6125 with 512mb memory and 60gb h.d.d

first attempt at installation failed with the following:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
unionfs invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x...
unionfs cpuset=/ mems_allowed=0
[...]
Out of memory: Kill process 2068 (guix) score 526 or sacrifice child
Killed process 2068 (guix) total-vm:829080kB, anon-rss:201792kB, file-rss:0kB
guix system: error: build failed: unexpected end-of-file
2470 operations
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

i went past this by enabling a swap device.

second attempt at installation failed with "no permissions" when copying
pata_* kernel modules to /gnu/store/*-linux-libre-3.17.2/.

after adding write permissions for user on directory
/gnu/store/*-linux-libre-3.17.2/, the installation completed
successfully (no errors).

on restarting the laptop and booting from the h.d.d, the reboot stops
at the guile-user prompt.  the backtrace shows the following:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
In /gnu/store/*-module-import/gnu/build/linux-boot.scm:
  385:7  2 (#<procedure 1e943c0 at /gnu/store/...
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
  619:17  1 (for-each #<procedure load-linux-module* (file)> ...
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

regards,
... kennedy tembo.
-- 
former club president
midrand toastmasters
http://midrand.tmclub.co.za
 /"\ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 \ /       "[He has] campaigned steadfastly for freedom.
  X                I admire Nelson Mandela ..."
 / \  - Richard M. Stallman (rms), President, Free Software Foundation.
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~