Subject: Re: bug#17150: Stale bootstrap/*/guile-2.0.9.tar.xz files are not detected

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 00:19:49 +0200

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I just realized that my x86_64 and Loongson 3A systems have spent an
> enormous amount of time building the new guix master branch based on
> outdated bootstrap/*/guile-2.0.9.tar.xz.
>
> The issue is that if you simply "git pull" from a build directory with
> older versions of bootstrap/*/guile-2.0.9.tar.xz, although the various
> places where the hashes are stored are updated, those new hashes are
> never checked against the existing files.  Therefore, you can proceed to
> build an entire system based on an outdated bootstrap guile, and with
> hashes that don't match what's on hydra and what other people are
> building.

Right, ‘guix pull’ doesn’t survive updates of the bootstrap Guile
tarballs, because it doesn’t try to download it (see ‘build-guix’ in
guix/build/pull.scm.)  That’s rare in practice, but still a serious
limitation as you note.  :-/

There are other things to do in ‘guix pull’, such as authentication, and
improved bandwidth usage.  For the latter an option would be to resort
to git, and perhaps for the former too.

Ludo’.