Subject: [bug#78689] Rebase required

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2025 20:23:39 +0200

Am Thu, Aug 07, 2025 at 07:15:27PM +0200 schrieb Andreas Enge:
> I thought I would try something new, and rebase the nss-updates branch
> directly on the go-team branch. We are at least a few days from merging
> the former, but in the end this should make the second branch in line
> start faster, since it will already be evaluated on a commit known to
> the data service, and which will be essentially the new state of master.

This part is working! I see the first nss-updates packages starting to
be built on QA (nss-3.101-4, nss-certs-for tests) while the last go-team
packages close to the leaves are being finished. Now normally the last
rebasing of go-team on master should not change the nss derivations, so
what is built now should be the packages that we eventually need.

> actually it occurred to me that rebasing branch 2 directly on branch 1
> could speed things up even more. Assuming that branch 2 has no problems,
> but just needs to be built for substitutes, then while branch 1 is built
> on QA, branch 2 will already be built on CI in parallel.

That part, however, does not seem to work out.
   https://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/nss-updates
shows 43000 scheduled packages, and on the dashboard
   https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/2078147/dashboard
one sees enormous empty spots. Maybe someone who knows cuirass would be
able to fix this, but the holiday season does not help coping with a bus
factor of 1 or 2...

So we will have to wait for QA.

Andreas