Subject: bug#78537: GIMP startup crash on minimal xorg/wm unless gtk+ in profile

From: Runciter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2025 15:26:14 +0000

Hi,

"Maxim Cournoyer" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Are you able to run it this way?
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> ./pre-inst-env guix shell --pure gimp -- gimp
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> For me it still fails to run, apparently it fails to load its PNG icons.
> Maybe it also needs to be wrapped with GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE ?
>
> --
> Thanks,
> Maxim

So... No revised patch and I guess I won't be able to make progress in
the near future. I'm kind of at the end of my wits with this, and
definitely lacking knowledge about gtk. Here's where I'm at:

After applying my patch V3, that is to say wrapping the data files
directory of the gtk+ package into XDG_DATA_DIRS, you can get GIMP to
complete startup in a more minimal profile; most minimally, it can be
obtained with the following command:

./pre-inst-env guix shell --pure gimp gdk-pixbuf -- gimp

gdk-pixbuf pulls glib in its propagated inputs. Trials showed that gimp
needs glib in the profile in order to load PNG icons, and it also needs
gdk-pixbuf in the profile in order to load SVG icons.

Yet, trying your suggestion of wrapping GDK_PIBUF_MODULE_FILE has been
unsuccessful, both for SVG and PNG icons.

Creating a propagated input or a chain of propagated inputs from gimp to
gdk-pixbuf while applying the path V3 and leaving gtk+ out of the
propagated inputs of gimp should work, if that's acceptable.

Regards,

-- 
Runciter