Subject: bug#78537: GIMP startup crash on minimal xorg/wm unless gtk+ in profile

From: Runciter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2025 23:36:41 +0000

"Maxim Cournoyer" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Are you able to run it this way?
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> ./pre-inst-env guix shell --pure gimp -- gimp
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> For me it still fails to run, apparently it fails to load its PNG icons.
> Maybe it also needs to be wrapped with GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE ?

I hadn't tried and yes, it still fails to run in the pure environment.

I tried the obvious way of wrapping with GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE, gimp
was still unable to load its icons. I probably did it correctly because
I saw the value as expected in the wrapper script.

There's still something in my user profile that's helping gimp to start,
now it's not gtk+ anymore; this can be investigated. If that devolves
into a slow process of elimination, I'll be able to do that next week.

Regards,

-- 
Runciter