Subject: bug#78133: closed (`./pre-inst-env guix lint` does not work at all)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2025 17:48:02 +0000

Your message dated Fri, 1 Aug 2025 19:47:46 +0200
with message-id <aIz9whu41KO1cNuF@jurong>
and subject line Close
has caused the debbugs.gnu.org bug report #78133,
regarding `./pre-inst-env guix lint` does not work at all
to be marked as done.

(If you believe you have received this mail in error, please contact
[email-masked].)

-- 
78133: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=78133
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: `./pre-inst-env guix lint` does not work at all
From: "nomike (they/them)" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2025 15:57:41 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi!

I get an error when running =guix lint=:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE text
$ ./pre-inst-env guix lint [email-masked]
guix: lint: command not found
hint: Did you mean `lint'?

Try `guix --help' for more information.
#+END_EXAMPLE

I'm not in a guix shell though.

The guix handbook talks a lot about running =guix style=, =guix lint=, 
etc.  in chapter 22.10 Submitting Patches[0] but nowhere mentions the 
use of `./pre-inst-env` or `guix shell`, so there is some room for 
improvement here, I guess.

Chaper 22.2 Building from Git[1] mentions to run =guix shell -D guix 
-CPW=, but if I try to run =guix lint= in there, I'm getting errors 
about network access. If I add the =--network= parameter, it still 
complains about SSL certificates not being verifiable, so I needed to 
run this in the end, which finally worked:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE text
$ guix shell --container --link-profile --nesting --network 
--development guix nss-certs
#+END_EXAMPLE

IMHO this should be documented somewhere.

It took me, reading a lot of documentation, asking a friend who is a 
seasoned guix developer and asking on IRC a number of times to piece all 
the necessary bits together.

And the error message about =lint= not existing and asking whether I 
have misspelled it and rather meant =lint=  doesn't make sense and IMHO 
should never happen.

Cheers

nomike

[0] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html
[1] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html

Subject: Close
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2025 19:47:46 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Closing as not reproducible.

Andreas