Subject: bug#59579: installing zbar prevents gdm to start on Ubuntu 22.04 foreign distro

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2024 13:09:14 +0200

Hi Maxim,

On ven., 17 mai 2024 at 23:10, Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Just to be sure, do you have default XDG_* environment variables as
> configured by guix-install.sh:

Hum, no I did not have all these default.  It had been introduced after
my install of Guix, I guess. :-)

> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> export XCURSOR_PATH="${XCURSOR_PATH:-/usr/local/share/icons:/usr/share/icons}"
> export XDG_DATA_HOME="${XDG_DATA_HOME:-$HOME/.local/share}"
> export XDG_CONFIG_HOME="${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-$HOME/.config}"
> export XDG_STATE_HOME="${XDG_STATE_HOME:-$HOME/.local/state}"
> export XDG_DATA_DIRS="${XDG_DATA_DIRS:-/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/}"
> export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="${XDG_CONFIG_DIRS:-/etc/xdg}"
> export XDG_CACHE_HOME="${XDG_CACHE_HOME:-$HOME/.cache}",
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> I think their absence used to cause this sort of behavior, since Guix
> setting it to something would wholly override the distribution-provided
> files.

Maybe we could add a short paragraph/section about that XDG_* variables
under (guix) Application Setup [1].  Although etc/guix-install.sh
already does the correct thing, it could be helpful if people tweak
stuff, I mean, always good to shortly document typical annoyances. :-)

1: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Application-Setup

Cheers,
simon