Subject: Re: bug#57878: Minimal reproducible setup

From: Max Brieiev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 13:06:55 +0300

I am new to Guix.

My issue is related to the native compilation too, however it manifests
itself differently.

The build of emacs-next goes well.

However, when I start Emacs it throws lots of errors, most of which are
like this:

    Deleting /tmp/comp-lambda-RCGJQI.eln
    comp--native-compile: Native compiler error: (lambda (&rest arg1) (let ((f #'make-process)) (apply f arg1))), "Compiling /tmp/comp-lambda-RCGJQI.eln...
    x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc-10.3.0: fatal error: cannot execute ‘as’: execvp: No such file or directory
    compilation terminated.

So while it builds successfully I can't really run it.

What confuses me is that everyone else in this thread has a differnt
issue. For some, if I understand it correctly, the problem is that the
compiler runs to aggressively and makes Emacs unusable. Is it right?

But in my case the native compiler just plainly fails to execute,
because assembler program is not found.

Why isn't it deterministic, meaning that going through the same build
process, the resulting build of my Emacs is different from the others,
reporting related, but different issues?

And this is what makes me think that the problem is actually in
packaging.

This sounds like the problem with dependencies, libgccjit in particular,
doesn't it?