Subject: Re: bug#50814: [PATCH] guix: git-authenticate: Also authenticate the channel intro commit.

From: Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2021 15:31:08 +0000

> Does that make sense?

there are three main topics of this patchset:

1) adding a (hopefully helpful) warning. the primary goal.
2) general cleanups
3) IIRC, fixing some actual bugs in the process

as for 1):

what i did was fork guix master, and now i'm pulling my own
authenticated branch from my own local git checkout, where every once
in a while i merge my various topic branches into my branch, and guix
pull it.

when i added my second commit i have spent a disproportionate amount
of time trying to figure out what was happening: the first commit was
accepted, and i thought it's set up all fine. then who knows how much
later, when i added my second commit, i was staring at the screen
without a clue why pulling doesn't work anymore.

then i ventured into quickly adding warning, so that others won't
waste their time on this, and went down the rabbit hole, which
resulted in fixing actual bugs, i believe. IIRC, they are exposed by
the test that i have added when run on the current codebase.

as for 3), any actual bugs:

i'll investigate again later by running the test without the fix, and write
up my results here, or better yet, in a better commit message.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
--
It should be a grammatical if not legal offense to ascribe thoughts, opinions and decisions to "we" without a signed power of attorney.