Subject: bug#42053: hidden derivation build with inferiors

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 12:17:28 +0200

Hi,

Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> skribis:

> someone (kernel-help) on IRC today was having issues using an inferior
> kernel with their os configuration and reported that guix was
> "hanging". It turns out that guix was actually building the kernel in
> the background, but did not report anything to the user. kernel-help
> was kind enough to share their config, and I can confirm that guix is
> building the kernel, but doesn't tell anything.

Aaah right.  What happens here is that grafts lead the inferior to start
building the kernel (this is expected).  However, ‘proxy’ in (guix
inferior) doesn’t forward build output to ‘current-build-output-port’.
That’s why there’s no message saying what’s being built, no spinner, etc.

I’ll see what can be done.

The problem has always been there but it was perhaps less visible before
710854304b1ab29332edcb76f3de532e0724c197, at least when substitutes were
available, because then the inferior wouldn’t start building things.

Ludo’.