Subject: bug#42053: hidden derivation build with inferiors

From: Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 06:19:56 -0400

Le 26 juin 2020 06:17:28 GMT-04:00, "Ludovic Courtès" <[email-masked]> a écrit :
>Hi,
>
>Julien Lepiller <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> someone (kernel-help) on IRC today was having issues using an
>inferior
>> kernel with their os configuration and reported that guix was
>> "hanging". It turns out that guix was actually building the kernel in
>> the background, but did not report anything to the user. kernel-help
>> was kind enough to share their config, and I can confirm that guix is
>> building the kernel, but doesn't tell anything.
>
>Aaah right.  What happens here is that grafts lead the inferior to
>start
>building the kernel (this is expected).  However, ‘proxy’ in (guix
>inferior) doesn’t forward build output to ‘current-build-output-port’.
>That’s why there’s no message saying what’s being built, no spinner,
>etc.
>
>I’ll see what can be done.
>
>The problem has always been there but it was perhaps less visible
>before
>710854304b1ab29332edcb76f3de532e0724c197, at least when substitutes
>were
>available, because then the inferior wouldn’t start building things.
>
>Ludo’.

Thanks for the answer. The build also starts with -n, which I didn't expect either. I suppose this is also because the inferior doesn't report anything?