Subject: bug#35519: librsvg broken on i686-linux

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 18:11:41 +0200

Hi Ludo,

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 14:24:48 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Does that ring a bell?

Yes, I've brought that up upstream and upstream is more than willing to work
on this and debug this problem if there is a system to debug it on.

However, as far as I understand we decided not to give thepowersgang (authors
of mrustc) a login to a Guix machine--therefore, the situation will not improve.

The problem is NOT reproducible in Debian with the same gcc version.

Maybe I'll get my home internet set up next month and put a Guix machine on it,
but right now I only have mobile internet (with very slow upload and behind NAT).
As it is now, I cannot reasonably give someone a Guix machine already setup
to debug this problem.

The problem is 100% reproducible and I estimate would be easy to fix for the
authors--and maybe would fix the similar armhf problems as well.

So if someone could put a Guix machine on the internet and give thepowersgang
access, that would be great.  I can't right now.

If that happens, I can instruct thepowersgang how to enter an environment
where this problem can be reproduced and fixed.

Even at the last FOSDEM, Chris Marusich and I saw this problem and fixed
part of it--by now we got upstream attention.  (After all this inertia maybe
we lost upstream attention again--we'll see)

>  Any ideas of a fix or workaround we could apply?

No, but thepowersgang might find it very quickly.  They guess it might be
some C undefined behavior being used by the mrustc->C translator, or a problem
with the struct layout (although I've checked the latter and it should be
fine).