Subject: bug#26608: bug#22629: “Stable” branch

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 12:33:19 +0200

Hi Ludo,

> What do you mean by “limit it to channels”?  ‘%default-channels’ is an
> alias for the official Guix channel (IOW, Guix itself.)

Fine, but I rarely care about all of Guix, or all of any other channel.
I care about the small subset of packages that I actually use.

Better yet, with a per-manifest/profile approach, I could put my most
critical packages in a special profile and get updates for them more
quickly, while still working only with substitutes.

BTW, just out of curiosity: for how many commits in Guix history all
packages could be built successfully? Is that the rule of the exception?

> Yes, we could do that, and even maybe more sophisticated things (e.g.,
> looking at the commit log to determine whether security fixes are
> available, and adjusting the strategy accordingly.)

Nice!

> What I find interesting is that we can provide the tools to support such
> policies, and then users can choose or implement the policy they want
> directly in ~/.config/guix/channels.scm.

I agree, it's nice to give people the tools they need to implement their
own policy.

Konrad.