Subject: bug#25296: fully functional desktop installation

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 22:11:01 +0100

Hello!

Quiliro <[email-masked]> skribis:

> It would be nice to create a desktop.scm file that contains all
> necessary packages to have a fully functional desktop installation for
> the end user. It is for that user that only uses the machine to write
> and read emails, create and read text documents and spreadsheets too. I
> know the current desktop.scm contain some of those features and that
> after that
> guix package --install pidgin libreoffice icecat clawsmail
> (and so) can provide the necessary packages. But I would like to make
> an installation that is just as trisquel is. It is not necessary to
> have the same configuration or the same packages. But it would be
> useful to have it as easy to just use as is Trisquel.

The desktop example contains all of GNOME, when choosing GNOME, which
provides an email client, Web browser, and lots of other things.

Additional packages like those you mention could be added to the
‘packages’ field, in which case they will be installed globally, like
the rest of GNOME.

I wouldn’t recommend adding those 4 packages you mention by default
though, because it’s really a matter of choice (and it’s redundant with
what GNOME provides, I think.)

WDYT?

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.