Subject: Re: bug#25296: fully functional desktop installation

From: Oleg Pykhalov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 12:56:27 +0300

Hello,

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

[...]

> I’m not sure what we could do, though.  Should the desktop example
> include a comment like “Uncomment the following lines to add LibreOffice
> & co.”?

Agree.  Maybe we could provide a hint like:

gnu/system/examples/desktop.tmpl

  (packages (cons* nss-certs ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs      ;for user mounts

                   ;; Following packages recommended to be installed
                   ;; per-user with `guix package -i PACKAGE'.
                   ;; Otherwise uncomment them to install globally.
                   ;;
                   ;; icecat ;GNU version of the Firefox browser
                   ;; libreoffice ;office suite

                   ;; Basic administrator tasks
                   %base-packages))

> This is something that the ncurses interface should make more
> discoverable.

When I saw a lightweight-desktop template for the first time, there was
a good ad about ratpoison window manager which I didn't know before.
This is a really good way to promote reasonable software.  :-)

Oleg.