Subject: Re: bug#20255: 'search-paths' should respect both user and system profile.

From: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:29:08 +0300

Maxim Cournoyer (2021-06-28 00:48 -0400) wrote:

> Alex Kost <[email-masked]> writes:
[...]
>> I can modify /etc/profile with any "normal" linux distribution but I
>> cannot do it with the Guix System.  And I find it awful that you think
>> it should stay like that.  I am for providing as much freedom for a user
>> (to configure their system) as possible.
>> The current /etc/profile is bearable for me, but if you add a "guix ..."
>> call there without providing a way to modify that file, I will probably
>> stop using the Guix System.
>>
>> Or maybe there is a hacky way to change /etc/profile ?  If so, please
>> share a code how this can be done.  (Then I will not complain anymore)
>
> Thanks for the reply!  I just wanted to make sure the extra energy to be
> spent on the search & implementation of a better solution would not be
> in vain; now I that know that it won't!
>
> I like the idea proposed by Leo Prikler; the one about giving the
> possibility to users to override the list of default profiles considered
> under a file such as ~/.config/guix/default-profiles.
>
> The default would be to load both combine the environment variables of
> the system and user profiles using 'guix package --search-paths', but a
> user could opt-out of that by providing an empty file, or customize the
> list of profiles the way they'd like.
>
> Would that be an acceptable solution from your point of view?

Sure!  Any solution that I can configure for my needs is good for me,
thank you!

-- 
Alex